Experiencing soreness on tail bone. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the past 2 days I've experienced a sore tailbone. It hurts more when I'm sitting. I've tried to stay off it, and have been applying a heated wheat bag.

I can't recall doing any activities out of the ordinary that would cause this pain.

Please help me!
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
These symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia caused by inflammation of the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.

Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:

1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, do not sit on hard surfaces and try to have alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2) Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid any injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

3) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4) Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.
In case the symptoms are persistent, do get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Experiencing soreness on tail bone. How to get relief? 3 minutes later
If I follow your instructions, how long until I should see an improvement?
I have Brufen 400mg (ibuprofen) at home, can I take that? If so, how much should i take and how often?

Previously question... How long until coccydynia heals?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The time taken for an improvement depends on the severity of your problem.
If rest, hot fomentation, oral muscle relaxants do not provide relief in next two weeks than it is best to consult an orthopedician for an MRI scan to assess the severity of your problem.
You can take Brufen 400mg after meals thrice a day for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.