Experiencing sharp pain in hip area post abdominal surgery. Is it due to sciatic nerve?

General Surgeon
Thank you. I have had major abdominal surgery which has involved placing mesh acoss my gut area. It was done on Oct 25, Within the past 2 days I have experienced sharp pain in my left hip area when I stand or walk, It spreads down the side of my leg. A few days ago my lymph noded were swollen in the left groin area but they dont seem to be as bad now and I wonder whether this relates to the improper drainage of my lymph nodes. I have had the drain removed but have also been accumulating fluid which was drained once already. I dont know if this has anything to do with this... All I know is it hurts a lot when I walk. Could it be my sciatic nerve? If so, why?! Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: pain likely due to nerve compression Detailed Answer: As described by you, the pain is in the hip area and is radiating to the leg. Accordingly the pain is more likely to be a nerve compression and likely to be sciatic nerve compression. As sciatic nerve supplies all these areas it causes pain/tingling / weakness either one of it or combination of it if it gets compressed. The most common site of compression will be inter vertebral disc. Also as you have mentioned there is mesh placed in the abdomen / abdominal wall. Even if there is fresh accumulation of fluid which is quite common in this area; or the mesh is large and there is lot of fat in abdomen, it's unlikely to cause the symptoms as mentioned by you. There is no relationship with the mesh and pain you are experiencing. I suggest you to consult your physician and rule out nerve compression as cause of your symptoms. I hope it helped. Wishing you a happy and healthy life. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon