Experiencing pulsating sensation in ear. CT scan showed non-specific opacification of the posterior right auditory canal. Worried

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi
Ever since the seasons changed from winter to spring I have a pulsating type foggy sensation when I wake up in my ear/head region. I am assuming it is related to the bad allergies I am experiencing. It's not painful, just annoying and lasts about 10 or 20 seconds until I sit upright or shake/move my head. I saw a GP who conducted a CT scan. He said it the results were fine and to take anti-histamines. I have the CT scan results and it says there is "non-specific opacification of the posterior right auditory canal which should be amenable to direct examination". Should I get a second opinion? I still have the sensation when I wake up although it seems to be on only one side of my head now.
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The pulsating foggy sensation in your ear/head region when you wake up may be experienced due to an number of reasons such as:
a. Blocked Sinuses.
b. Balance related disorders.
c. Blood pressure and Blood Sugar Level fluctuations.
d. Low Hemoglobin.
e. Thyroid and other hormone disorders.
f. Acid reflux.
g. Migraine variant or cluster headaches.

2. If you can share your CT Scan images (not the report), it will help in an accurate assessment. Get a CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done in addition.

3. Has an ENT Specialist examined your ear directly. Is so, what are the findings?

4. Get a general check-up done as many diseases such as diabetes, liver diseases, nasal polyps, tumors and so on should be ruled out.

5. The sinuses may harbour silent infection. Fungal infections may exist only within the sinuses (as against invasive fungal infections) and yet cause allergic reactions. This constitutes Allergic Fungal Rhino Sinusitis (AFRS). Such fungal infections may be missed out on CT Scans and requires MRI Scans to detect. If there is nasal and sinus inflammation you may take a trial of treatment including antibiotics, anti-allergic decongestants, saline nasal washes, mouthwashes, tongue cleaning, anti-reflux medication and probiotics.

6. If no cause is found, since this is now a one sided problem, you should get a Neurologist's opinion.

7. You may follow up with the answers to the above questions, results of the above investigations and treatment for further recommendations.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Experiencing pulsating sensation in ear. CT scan showed non-specific opacification of the posterior right auditory canal. Worried 10 hours later
Thanks for response. My blood pressure is normal. My last full blood count only about 3 months ago was also normal. I do have an apor with an ENT but I couldn't get in for 2 months. The sensation is only as soon as I wake. I don't experience it at any other time - not even if I'm lying down for a few hours. It only seems to exist after I've slept. Are you able to explain that CT scan result in words that someone without medical knowledge might understand? Not sure what non-specific opacification means. XXXXXXX not sure which side would be my posterior right auditory canal? It seems to be my left ear which is bothering me the most.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you can share your CT Scan images (not the report), it will help in an accurate assessment. Get a CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done in addition.

2. "Non-specific opacification of the posterior right auditory canal which should be amenable to direct examination" is a vague terminology even in medical terms! : ) There is definitely some ambiguity in this, especially if the left ear is bothering you more.

3. Direct ear examination findings or an oto-endoscopic image of the ear drum will help. Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiometry) done. Share the reports here.

4. If you can imagine the ear canal to be a square, the posterior part of the right ear canal is the side near the back of the head.

Regards.