Experiencing pain in leg. Getting relief after massaging. What am I suffering from?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am having pain in my left leg (on the right side from the thigh to toe) since last 2 weeks. Everytime I massage the affected area, the next day I do not have pain. However as soon as I discontinue the massage, the pain reappears.

The Pain is such that it feels like my vains are pulling. I have to snap my Toe and other toe fingers because it give me a little relief. Please advise
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

From description it seems you might be suffering from siatica. Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve — which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. Typically, sciatica affects only one side of your body.

Although the pain associated with sciatica can be severe, most cases resolve with just conservative treatments in a few weeks.

MRI is needed to establish the cause of sciatica, so that appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Sciatica do respond well to bed rest and analgesics (pain killer) and is right mode of treatment.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.