Experiencing lower abdominal pain with white discharge. Should I be worried?

I have been experiencing pain in my lower abdomen which I was told in the past by my gyno md that I am having ovulation pains. Which is most likely true considering it fluctuates from side to side every month, sometimes skipping a month, and last around 3-4 days at the most.
One of my concerns is that I was told if the pain eventually goes away and resolves then I shouldn't worry about it. Which is fine, but its painful enough to where I have to take NSAID's every month to dull the pain and sometime this is not enough to relieve the pain, and I am wondering why the ovulation would be so painful. It is like having a second period, with the pain and discharge. The discharge ranges from milky to clear and sometimes brown.
Secondly, I also have noted some small nodules in my lower abdomen where my ovaries lay, they feel similar to a lymph gland which could be from the groin area but its slightly further towards my midline in my lower abdomen, and I am not sure if glands run that far in. These nodules are sometimes tender, but I have never noticed them before now and am not sure if they are related to the pains I am experiencing during ovulation or not.
I was wondering if further diagnostics should be run regarding my issue with the ovulation pains or if what I am experiencing something normal, and like I was told previously I shouldn't worry?
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Thanks for the query
Your symptoms typically mimic the ovulation pain also called as mid cycle pain or MITTELSCHMERZ.
Your doctor seems to right in diagnosis although you may get an ultrasound abdomen or transvaginal pelvic ultrasound done to look for any other reason for your pain abdomen.
There is no treatment for such pain except the use of pain relievers.
However if the pain does bother you ,you may start using birth control pills which help in preventing ovulation and reduce ovulation related pain.
There is no complication or danger of this problem.
As far as the presence of nodules is concerned,it may be some local fibromas under the skin but you must consult your doctor and get them physically examined .
These nodules don't have any connection with your ovulation pain.
There is absolutely no reason for any worry but just do get your nodules examined by your doctor.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck