Experiencing irregular and heavy cycles. Gaining weight and feeling tired. Any thoughts?

Hi, I went in for exam, pap, etc. today, it has been three years since my last physical. I am 45 yrs old and have been experiencing irregular cycles, 2 months and even 4 months without a period, then when I do begin to bleed it is extremely heavy for up to 10 days. I have gained 15 pounds in the last yr. I have been extremely tired. Have had a leep procedure 10 yrs ago for HPV, but no abnormal paps since. A brown spot was seen on my cervix during my pap. I am scheduled for an ultrasound, bloodwork, and an endometrial biopsy.

Any thoughts, I am really concerned...thank you
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 35 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for writing to us

Irregular and heavy cycles can be due to hormonal imbalance as you are reaching perimenopausal age.Other causes can be fibroid uterus , endometrial hyperplasia and hypothyroidism.Ultrasound will clear the picture.Tiredness can be due to anemia , hypothyroidism , calcium and Vit B12 and Vit D deficiency.Get your lipid profile done as you have put on weight.Brown spot on cervix can be due to spotting.
It is good that you are taking care and getting all the investigations done.
Till then you can take tranexamic acid tablets while heavy bleeding along with iron , calcium , vit B 12 and vit D.Regular morning walks and salt restricted diet controls the weight to some extent.There is nothing to worry about.
Just relax
Good luck
Any further query is most welcome
Follow-up: Experiencing irregular and heavy cycles. Gaining weight and feeling tired. Any thoughts? 1 hour later
Thank you! Is there any concern over the 'brown spot' on my cervix since I had a lesion removed (Leep procedure) about 10 yrs ago from HPV?

Thank again.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 6 hours later

Welcome once again

Brown spots can be due to nabothian cysts or cervical erosion.The cervical lesions are best visualized by colposcopy.It is good that you got Leep done.It is better to get pap's smear done once again.If there are no abnormal cells then there is nothing to worry about.Cervarix vaccine can be given up to 45-46 yrs for the prevention of cervical cancer as HPV is the precursor of the disease.If abnormal cells are found and your menorrhagia or heavy bleeding persists , you may require hysterectomy later on.
Best wishes