Ask a Urologist   »  

Experiencing excessive urination. No pain or burning sensation. Not on any medication. Thoughts?

I have been experiencing excessive urination on and off for a few weeks. It does not happen every day bit when it does, I will go numerous times in a small timeframe. There is no pain, burning, and I am going a lot (not just emptying my bladder a little), there is no leakage. I am not taking any medications, not pregnant, my drinking habits have not changed (no excessive caffeine), and this is not occurring at night but t is worse in the morning.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

Thanks for sharing your concern,

You are having excessive urination (polyuria) And you do not have any urinary symptoms like burning or pain. Based on these details provided, the following are my comments:

1. We need to think possible causes out of them. Diabetes comes to my find first. You can get your blood sugar checked in the fasting and post prandial (2 hours after food) to exclude diabetes.

2. A complete blood count to know your Haemoglobin level is also essential, as anaemia is also possible cause

3. Even though no symptoms, urine analysis will help to be sure there is nothing, or may indicate kidney involvement.

4. Measure your intake. If your intake is more (Polydipsia) then you get more output

5. In some condition ability of kidney to concentrate urine is diminished. Diabetes insipidus is one such condition and it can be excluded if all the above conditions are ruled out.

Hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any further query please feel free to ask, I will be happy to help you.

With best of Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.