Experiencing excessive thirst and vomiting blood. What is causing this?

Pediatrician
Question
what causes excessive thirst and vomiting blood?I was sleeping and all of a sudden I woke up and I felt like throwing up and thirsty at the same time. when I threw up I saw blood. I freaked out and rinse my mouth with water and started to drink eater because I was very thirst
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 13 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I would appreciate if you had provided the following details:
1. Age and sex.
2. Any history of any underlying disease or illness.
3. Any history of consuming food from any unhygienic place.
4. Any other relevant information.

Vomitings can occur for a number of reasons but gastroenteritis is the most common cause wherein you may feel a lot thirsty at the same time. Vomitings, at times, can also cause some bleeding from the lower end of the oesophagus.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Kindly revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Experiencing excessive thirst and vomiting blood. What is causing this? 22 hours later
I am 20 and a female. I don't have any history of any illness. I make sure that I go to hygienic place to eat my food because I want my food cooked well done and proper. If I didn't drink water and my throat starts drying up and I tend to want to cough to the point I throw up. what do you think will help me get better?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for the update. I hope there has been no fresh blood in the vomitus.

Does the vomitings only occur when you are coughing? Since when is the cough present?

The following things come up my mind:
1. You may be vomiting due to the coughing. In this case you need to get your throat examined and start with some decongestant tablets.
2. Get your blood sugar checked as diabetes mellitus can cause thirst as one of the symptoms.
3. Get your urine specific gravity checked. If it is a constant 1010 then diabetes insipidus has to be ruled out.
If you do not have a bad throat then you can take tab. ondansteron 1 tab. three times a day to control vomitings.

I hope I have given you some directions to know the cause of the thirsty feeling and vomiting and they are to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv