Experienced sever pain in ovary. US showed cyst with blood and pus. What doe it mean?

Mar 2013
I experienced sever pain in my right ovary. Had an ultrasound done and I have a Hypoechoic cyst. Which contains lines, fluid with blood and pus. What type of cyst is this? I've been reading online and maybe it's a "complex" cyst? What does lines mean? It measures 1.1" (inches)
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Complex cysts are cysts that are not ' simple ' - as in, they do not contain JUST fluid.
A complex cyst could mean one of many things.
For women in the reproductive age group, one of the first possibilities is an ectopic pregnancy , that is pregnancy in the tubes or ovaries. This would appear as a cyst filled with tissue, blood etc.
An endometriotic cyst is often filled with pus and blood, this is growth of the tissue that is present on the lining of the uterus, OUTSIDE the uterus.
Dermoid cysts are a type of cyst that also appear complex on ultrasound - often tissues like hair, nails, teeth can be seen inside the cyst.
Benign and malignant ovarian tumours also appear as complex cysts.
Normally, ovarian cysts smaller than 5 cm are observed, and treated with antibiotics and painkillers.
If the cyst grows in size or has associated symptoms like intolerable pain ( due to haemorrhage within the cyst , twisting of the cyst or pressure on adjacent organs due to sheer size ), then surgical removal should be considered.
In your case, only a biopsy would yield confirmatory diagnosis ( removal of the cyst and sending it for biopsy ).
However, as the size is quite small, do not worry, and you can wait and watch for a couple of cycles.
It would help me if you can upload the exact ultrasound image and report.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask any further questions.