Excessive tanning due to sun exposure. Suggest the treatment to reduce tanning

I spend about 7-8hrs on weekends under sun playing cricket. I am getting excessive tanning due to exposure in sun. I tried some common sun screen lotion available in cosmetics store but hasnt helped. Can you please recommend something to reduce the tanning.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Use broad band sunscreens daily three times. Detailed Answer: Hi! XXXX, Thank you for posting your query, I understand you problem.Tanning of skin takes place usually 2-3 days after excess sun exposure. You should use a broad band medicated sunscreen like UVAVO ,UV 34 PLUS or SUNBLOCK 50 PLUS .This should be used at-least three times daily (i.e. every three hours).You have to understand that sunscreen once applied on face stays only for 3 hours on skin and then weans off.So it should be used every three hours full face & arms if that too is exposed .Use a sunscreen half an hour before you step out in the sun. Also look for a what SPF a sunscreen has .SPF stands for sun protecting factor.Higher the SPF better the sun protection .Usually for Indian skin a SPF of 20 plus is good enough.You should also understand that cosmetic sunscreen doesn't work good ,it has to be a medicated sunscreen .You can get the above said sunscreens from a chemist shop .UV 34 PLUS works like a physical sunscreen and is best to use if you are under direct sun for long hours. A sunscreen can only prevent further tanning,but gradually tanning goes off by itself in a month or two .If tanning has already occurred & you want to get rid off it soon , then you can go for procedures like chemical peel or microdermabrassion to reduce it.You can get these procedures done from a qualified dermatologist . Also use a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses to protect your skin further.Full sleeves shirt should be used to protect your arms from sun exposure. Hope I've answered your query. Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Regards, Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.