Erection difficulties and lack of libido. Found low testosterone. How long the treatment can work?

Question
I have recently been diagnosed with low testosterone, my level was 230. I have been having erection difficulties and lack of libido so my GP tested me and I was low. How long can I expect for the treatment to work? Days, Months, Years? She started me off with a shot of 200 ml of testosterone cypionate and she will give me 100 ml shots from now on every two weeks. Is there any side effects I should be aware of? I've done a little research on the subject online but what I've read and my doctors knowledge don't seem to mesh I just wanted a second opinion.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 16 hours later
Dear,
You can expect benefits within 1 to 2 weeks. Treatment can work as long it is prescribed however the basic cause of low testosterone has to be treated. Regarding the side effects there are some common ones like breast enlargement, acne, oily skin, mood changes and changes in libido. In long term it can increase cholesterol, prostatic hyperplasia and reduce sperm counts. These are not seen in everyone but laboratory tests will have to be done to monitor these parameters. There are other rare side effects that are not relevant. Testosterone levels have to be checked to ensure that they are not above normal limits.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Erection difficulties and lack of libido. Found low testosterone. How long the treatment can work? 23 minutes later
what do you mean by basic nature? the reason the test is low in the first place? What are some possible causes im only 30. what should i be checked out for?

Yes what s the basic cause in first place. The list of causes is exhaustive but can involve defects in hypothalamus and pituitary axis, testicles, varicocele, pyschological problems, stressful conditions and drugs. Some of them are reverdible. So its the job of your doctor to look for any reversible causes. Im afraid you cant decide what tests need to be done. Leave it to your doctor or if you arent happy see a different doctor. Proper examination is reqd before deciding on what tests need to be done.
Shivaprasad