Endoscopy shows hiatus hernia. Having stomach and chest pain. Prescribed Ganaton and Herbogastron. Permanent cure?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Dear Doctor,

My mother aged 55years holding XXXXXXX Health card is going through gastric problem, She had endoscopy last 6months back and the report says that hiatus hernia. She had undergone medication for somtime and shifted to homeopathy now the problem is worser, she is having ulcers in her mouth from last 3months, not able to take food, while swallowing she has a problem, is always down with stomach pain, has slight chest pain. Attached the reports for your reference. She is a Diabetic and has asthama. She had undergone Sinus operation few years back. Now we have taken her ot hospital and the doctor prescribed her Ganaton twice daily & Herbogastron (Sidha Medicine) two tablets thrice daily. She is taking this medicine from last 12days. But i could see no improvement, wanted to take your opinion. Is their any cure or permanent treatment for this & will she be normal without getting complication please suggest. She also has Soriasis in her legs & Hands.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in

I have gone through the reports of your mother

She is a known case of diabetes and her thyroid is under control

Most other reports are normal

For her hiatus hernia I would suggest she restarts her original treatment of Pantodac Dsr twice a day and if she is better with Ganaton start plain pantoprazole, along with ganaton twice a day

She will feel better if she takes care of her diet and follows these instructions along with the medicines :

Bland diet
Small frequent meals
Loose clothes
Avoid stooping
Raise head end of bed
If obese loose weight

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Follow-up: Endoscopy shows hiatus hernia. Having stomach and chest pain. Prescribed Ganaton and Herbogastron. Permanent cure? 22 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for the quick reply.

Hope she is not in a emergency, does the prescribed medicines are permanent cure or its a life time problem that she needs to manage with by using medicines. She is suffering wth this problem for almost an year now. if she stops medicine it agrevates her pain.

She is also using Herbogastrone, does it help her in any way?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in again

No this is not an emergency but again she cannot avoid this

The medicines are for symptomatic relief , if she has persistent symptoms she might need surgery for Hiatus hernia

But a good number of patients if they modify lifestyle they can remain free of symptoms

I am not aware of this molecule so please ask about it to your physician [Herbagastrone]

Do write back in case of concern
Wishing your mother a healthy life ahead