Elevated potassium & creatinine. CT contrast induced ARF, diabetic, UTI. Taken merophen, imipenem for UTI, taking moxcent & cilacar for BP. What caused high potassium?

Hi my father ager 67, diabetic since 30 years Had CT contrast induced ARF since 7th November. Earlier his creat was 1.5 later it increased upto 5. And then reduced upto 3 , then he was stented for stricture in R ureter stent was removed in 3 weeks. Based on UG The stricture isn't there now . He has a UTI and dose of meropenem , and later imipenem + coils tin was given However UTI persists. He doesn't have temperature. Now problem is that suddennly pottasium has risen from 4 to 6 and also creat from 3.2 to 4.5. His BUN is 37. He is also taking tab moxcent 2 daily and tab cilacar od for BP. Are these ACE blockers and could these be reasons for K increase.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 7 hours later
Given your father's age, a creatinine level of 1.5 is high. It is extremely likely that he had an underlying chronic kidney disease in November itself. The contrast studies and UTI) could have possibly worsened his kidney function.
There will be fluctuations in his creatinine depending on his diet, sugar levels and control of blood pressure.
The two drugs that you have mentioned are not Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. However, other factors that could have been possibly contributing to his high potassium levels could include fruits, juices, dry fruits, low sodium salt etc.
He may also benefit from a long term low dose (3 to 6 months) suppressive course of antibiotics for recurrent UTI. I would suggest you talk to his treating physician about the same.
I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow up queries.