Elevated liver enzymes. Want to know if my scores should be of concern.

I am 43, work out regularly and eat very healthy. I have a European husband and we drink wine every day with every meal and then after dinner while relaxing. My consumption in no way interferes with my normal life and I am rarely sick. I recently had my annual physical and I was honest about my wine intake, which is about 3 glasses per day - more on some weekends. My doctor said that under the guidelines, I was drinking too much and I replied that those were the American guidelines, which I felt were overly conservative, and other countries had different guidelines that were more in line with my drinking habits - well, at least with my normal drinking habits - I won't lie; on some weekends, I consume more. Concerned, she ran some tests and she stated that my liver enzymes were very slightly elevated and that it was related to my moderate alcohol intake. I want to know if my scores should be of concern - so far in my research it seems that I am fine. Here are the scores:

NB-EGFR = 78
25 Hydroxyvitamin D = 28
Sodium level = 142
Potassium level = 5
Chorlide = 104
Co2 = 30
Urea Nitorgen = 18
Creatinine = .8
Glucose = 81
Calcium = 9.9
Protein = 7.4
Albumin = 4.6
AST = 40
ALT = 37
Alkaline Phosphatase = 84
Bilirubin total = .7
Bilirubin direct = .2
Cholesterol total = 235
Triglycerides = 67
HDL = 104
LDLC = 117
Chol/HDL ratio = 2.3
WBC = 5.9
HGB = 15.3
HCT = 44.3
PLT = 304
RBC = 4.74
MCV = 93.5
MCH = 32.3
MCHC = 34.5
RDW = 11.7
MPV = 10.2

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Please send me the units of measurement and the reference ranges as these vary between the labs. This will help me to guide you better.

Alternatively, you have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Elevated liver enzymes. Want to know if my scores should be of concern. 46 hours later
I still haven't heard from you after sending the reports. Just wanted to make sure you received them and they are legible and if so, could you answer the question? Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 4 hours later
Thanks for the clarification.
From the reports, I gather that you have mild hepatitis, a high normal platelet count ( a marker of inflammation as MCV is also high), low Vitamin D levels and a high HDL (please reconfirm it)
Given the history of alcohol intake, one would consider that the liver injury is because of alcohol unless proved otherwise.
The ability to metabolise alcohol is lesser in women as compared to men as they lack the gastric alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes. Hence, women are more prone to alcohol induced liver injury. The guidelines suggest that the safe limit is 10-20g/day for women and 20-30g/day for men. Binge drinking increases the risk and is known to be associated with severe alcohol related problems like pancreatitis, arrhythmias, severe hepatitis.
Hence it is a good idea to consider stopping or further moderating your alcohol intake.