Elevated T Bilirubin. Was suffering with sinus infection last week. Can dehydration cause elevated results ?

Hi, I recently had a full blood test done.. All results came back fine apart from my T Bilirubin was elevated to 21 umol/l. The blood test report showed all other lft results within normal limits. However I did notice the my previous results show the t biliruben in XXXXXXX 2010 was only 10 and a test done in September 2011 it was 14. What causes t biliruben to raise??? My ALT was 23 and GGT was 22. The previous results in 2010 and 2011 show these levels 15 and 16!

I am a very anxious and stressed person and can't not think why my levels are raised?? I am not overweight do not drink alcohol or have a high fat diet.

I did about a week previous have sinus infection / cold and had also been away on holiday and been suffering from jet lag and had not had much to drink! Would being dehydrated cause elevated results.... Thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 3 hours later

First of all don't get anxious. Levels are just mildly elevated, also normal GGT and ALT are reassuring.

The normal levels of total serum bilirubin are upto 18umol/l. A combination of conjugated and unconjugated bilirubin makes total bilirubin. So to actually decide the cause of your raised total bilirubin we need to know the unconjugated and conjugated fraction which must have also been given to you in your report. Usually unconjugated fraction is elevated due to haemolysis (breaking of red blood cells) or due to a congenital condition called Gilbert's syndrome which is an innocuous condition. Conjugated bilirubin usually rises due to liver diseases. In your case mild sinus infection might have led on to this mild rise in bilirubin, which should resolve on follow up.

You should check the conjugated and unconjugated fraction of bilirubin and let me know about these values. Also repeat bilirubin (total and conjugated) after 2-4 weeks might help following it up.

I hope you this helps you, Have a nice day.

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Elevated T Bilirubin. Was suffering with sinus infection last week. Can dehydration cause elevated results ? 56 minutes later

Thanks for the response. I have just had a look at the blood results and there is no information for conjugated biliruben.. All I can see t biliruben. When I get repeat bloods done I will request the c biliruben data. Would dehydration and stress also raise biliruben ?

Thanks again..
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 19 minutes later

Thanks for contacting again.

As far as I know stress and mild dehydration will not alter bilirubin levels. Yes you should ask for total and conjugated bilirubin when you get the next testing done.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal