Elevated GGT levels. No alcohol consumption. What are the other causes?

I seldom drink alcohol but have a GGT level of 230. What are the probable causes? What should I do?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Elevated GGT levels may indicate that something is damaging the liver but not specifically what. High GGT levels can be associated with
•     Liver diseases such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver tumors, and jaundice
•     Myocardial infarction
•     Heavy or chronic alcohol use
•     Pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis
•     Viral infections such as Epstein-Barr, cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Reye's syndrome.
•     Smoking
•     Drugs like phenytoin, carbamazepine, and barbiturates such as phenobarbital may cause raised GGT levels.
•     Use of many other prescription and non-prescription drugs, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), lipid-lowering drugs, antibiotics, histamine receptor blockers (used to treat excess stomach acid production), antifungal agents, antidepressants, and hormones such as testosterone may also raise GGT levels. I hope you are not taking any of these drugs.

To rule out any liver damage, it is advisable to get liver enzymes like serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase (SGOT) and serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT) levels done. For this, please consult your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.