Electric shock below breast. Had hysterectomy. Not painful. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I feel an electric shock feeling under the lower side of my right breast rib area. It comes and goes. I may not have it for months, then have it a few days or weeks and then it's gone for months again. It sometimes shoots a shock down the right arm to my right hand leading from the breast area. I feel it if I rise from sitting rapidly or walk briskly or sometimes doing nothing to aggravate it. I feel it when I change positions while sleeping sometimes. I have no history of heart disease, non smoker and drinker, age 55, female, partial hysterectomy year and half ago, have my ovaries. Experienced it before hysterectomy. First noticed it about 3-4 years ago. No pain or other symptoms, just uncomfortable & puzzling when it happens. I'm up to date with all mammograms, & yearly gyn checkups. Mentioned it to family doc and said it was probably pinched nerve and never went any further with it. Have had sono on gall bladder, everything was fine. Blood pressure, cholesterol all within good normal range. Weight 150 at 5'-6". Been in good health all my life so I can't figure out what this could be. My resting pulse is 63 bpm. Should I be concerned and if so what type of doc should I start with to try and get to the bottom of this shock feeling. It's always in the same place on the right side. It just recently started shooting the same feeling down the arm to the right hand, it does it very fast when it happens. Sorry so long and thank you for your time.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Your symptoms are due to nerve compression or irritation at the level of cervical spine. This happens due to the age related degenerative changes in the spine.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
For symptomatic relief, methylcobalamin supplements are helpful.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.