Ear pain, taken antibiotics for cellulitis and shingles. No rash. What does this sound like?

Question
i went to the hospital on the 5th of july had a hard pump behind my ear with severe pain the doctor said it was celutius gave me antibiotics started on meds but the pain got worse. I went to my doctor the next day and he said it was the shingles. When I look at the pictures i dont have a rash just a large lump and the pain runs down my neck does it sound like the shingles to u and theres only one one blister alot of pus came out of it
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

The description does not sound to be shingles. However it would be good if you can upload picture of the lump.

Shingles typically present with clusters pin point pus filled vesicles and rash. I have never seen a lump discharging so much pus from it.

The description seems to be folliculitis or post auricular lymphadenitis. It needs a course of antibiotics for a week. The pain reduces within 72 hours after the course of antibiotic and sufficient dose of analgesic.

Waiting to look at the pictures.