Dry lips, itching, knee and pelvis joint pain. Taken Famciclovir. Should I continue medication?

Jul 2012

Iam suffering from a herpes. My problem is lips dryness,Itchiness & joint paint in knee & pelvic. I took Famciclovir 500mg twice a day but I stop taking medicine now as per my doctor advice, but iam not getting relief. My problem is 8 month old. Please advice how to get rid of lips dryness,Itchinees & joint paints. Shall I continue themedicine? How much kissing some one is risky it is in this stage? And how to manage at home with family, as I`ve 2 little kids also. Please advice.
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there. I do understand your query & note your problem with interest. However, i would like a small clarification. You did a IgG & IgM tests for herpes 1 &2. You have stated one titre this for IgG or IgM & is it for herpes1 or hepres 2 ? Can you please state them again clearly with the baseline in your lab alongside?
IgM positivity indicates recent infection & Ig G indicates older infection & they may be able to differentiate between herpes1 & 2 but they may be false positive results. I do know you have recieved treatment for herpes but from your description of things, it appears that your joint problems & dryness of lips & itchiness need not be necessarily related to the herpes infection if indeed one exists. Please do get back with the clear reports with baseline laboratory parameters & will be in a better position to explain the risks & management therof. Cheers & Godspeed in the interim. Await your clarifications. Also is there any other medications that you are taking for your itch, dryness& joint pains in the knee & pelvic region. I dare say a lot of it is psychological baggae & the guilt feeling.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India