Dry, itchy vagina, abdominal pain. Hysterectomy done in the past. What will help?

Hi I suffer from dry itchy vagina. It drives me mad more at night time and sometimes after I pee when I wipe with toilet paper. I am 50 and have had a historrectime when I was in my 30's. I also still get pain in my abdomen. Hoping you can help. XXXXXXX XXX
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 44 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It sounds like the main problem is the vaginal dryness and itchiness. Given your prior hysterectomy, it might be confusing when exactly you actually will go through menopause. Menopause is associated with decreased estrogen levels because your ovaries have run out of eggs. This decrease in estrogen leads to vaginal dryness and recurrent vaginal infections, such as yeast infections. This is the most likely exlpanation for your symptoms. You should:
1. Treat with an over-the-counter yeast medication cream
2. Schedule a visit with your OB/GYN to discuss options for treating your vaginal symptoms and to evaluate your abdominal pain
3. Ask your doctor about vaginal estrogen tablets to replace the estrogen that you likely have lost

I hope that this helps and good luck!