Drinking lots of water, thirsty all the time, frequent seizures, on medication for it. Treatment ?

My 13 yr old is starting to drink alot of water. He is thirsty all the time. He has seizures and is on meds for them
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Savita Mishra 34 minutes later

I understand your concern regarding your child. But the cause should be evaluated regarding excessive drinking of water.

kindly measure the 24 hr urine output. If urine output is too high, then we need to do certain investigations like
1. Blood sugar: fasting and post prandial.
2. Serum electrolytes.
3. Urine routine examination.
4. Plasma osmolarity.
5. Urine sodium.

As he is a known case of seizures, he has to be regular in taking his medicines. Medicines has to be maintained on a strict compliance as advised by your treating doctor to prevent seizures. Please dont worry this is not related to his regular medicines.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your further follow up queries.