Drank red wine. Have gritty sensation in throat and tongue. Having pain in arm and chest. Related alcohol consumption?

Hi there,

Just a quick query...

I was drinking alcohol yesterday (lager and red wine)

Today, I have a gritty sensation in my throat and around the back of my tongue, also my voice is very hoarse and scratchy, it's hard to speak.

I also have pain in my left arm and chest along with heart palpitations. This is a frequent thing for me, I am used to the pains and palpitations.

I also measured my heart rate which was at 99 bpm

Could this be in relation to alcohol consumption or something else altogether?

Kind Regards,

Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Do see your physician on priority

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. Alcohol is known to precipitate palpitations. Not only benign premature beats but at times relatively serious rhythm disorders of heart (e.g. Atrial fibrillation) can also take place after alcohol consumption. Asthma/ COPD & ventorlin therapy, both independently contribute to palpitations and rhythm disorder of heart.
2. Pain in chest radiating to left arm is not a usual thing after alcohol consumption. Even if you state that you are used to it, I would like this to be worked-up on priority. Any chest pain, radiating to left arm, can not be labelled as non-cardiac only by history. I would recommend you to see your physician/ Emergency room doctor on priority. This is necessary to rule out any serious rhythm disorder of heart/ any bad effect of long term alcohol consumption on your heart pumping and to establish the cause of this ongoing chest pain.
3. The inability to speak clearly with gritty sensation in throat are not related to heart. They can be the effect of alcohol or a result of simple infection of throat. Warm saline gargles will help in this.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.