Dont get the urge to urinate. Ultra sound scan showed normal report. Treatment?

Parenchymal echogenicity normal.
cortico-medullary demarcation is normal in both kindeys
Pelvi-calyceal system not dilated . Ureters are not dilated.
Urinary baldder is distended and shows no evidence of calculus
U.bladder wall and prostrate are normal
post-void residual urine volume is 180ml
RETROPERITONEUM - no enlarged nodes seen
PERITONEUM - no free fluid noted. No Abnormal bowerl loops noted.
Liver not enlarged
gall bladder is of normal size and shows no evidence of calculus or sludge. walls not thickened.
pancreas - no obvious lesion noted.

routine urine test
RBC - 1 -2 HPF

after excercise during evening if i drink even 500ml i dont get the urge to urinate even after 1hr and if i do it will be very very very little
before excersie or after i wakeup i go to toilet every 45mins
and one - two times in the middle of the night.
please help help
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 11 hours later

Your problem is of variation in urination pattern.

More frequency in night and after getting up in morning is seen in few conditions.

-- Diabetes- test blood sugar fasting if less that 126 there is no diabetes.
-- Urine infection- urine pus cells are 4-6. Please see urine culture test to see if there is any infection also if you have burning sensation in the urine.
--Pedal oedema-- if you have swelling in your legs or you are passing proteins in the urine test ( not mentioned in the report provided) you can develop frequency of urination specially at night.
-- if you drink lot of water before going to sleep and in between when you get up-- this also contributes.

Second you said you don't pass urine after exercise-- if you are doing exercise in which you lose water from the body by sweating then even if you drink 500 ml it may not be enough to correct the water deficit and you may pass less urine subsequently- so no need to worry about that.

The thing which is of more concern is the presence of residual urine of 180 cc

This shows that when you pass urine you are not able to empty the bladder and some urine remains inside. I think you should repeat the ultrasound to confirm this finding. If still the problem is there then we have to investigate it.

Hope this information helps you to understand your problem.

If there are any queries you are welcome to ask.

Follow-up: Dont get the urge to urinate. Ultra sound scan showed normal report. Treatment? 6 hours later
hello doctor
when i say excercise i swim daily 20 laps and thats it :-)

that is what i am trying to find what is causing my urine it because i have kidney stone of size 1 mm

but i was told only bladder stone can cause urine block not kidney stone
other reason of block i was told by a urologist is that could be and can be blocked cos of UTI so i am drinking lot of cranberry now

i am also very concerned with this 180cc of urine but all reports normal
today i am doing culture urine test & results ready on friday after 3 days they told me so will let you know the results but i want to know does kidney stone cause blockage to urine
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 3 hours later
Yes, stones can cause blockage of urine flow. kidney stones can cause blockage if they are on BOTH SIDES ( right and left). 1mm size stones DO NOT cause blockage. So in your case stones cannot block urine flow. Urine blockage is persistent if it is due to stone. Since it is intermittent in your case and will occur after exercise only we need to rule out other reasons.

Residual urine after voiding can occur from
1. Urine passage blockage, but then you will feel that you have thin urine stream. You are not complaining
2. Bladder dysfunction. - needs evaluation.

If you already have urine infection only cranberry juice will not help. Cranberry juice extract tablets are available which you can take once infection is treated and recovered.

Let me know the other results.

Follow-up: Dont get the urge to urinate. Ultra sound scan showed normal report. Treatment? 30 minutes later
just got my report for routine urine the results are better as below please compare the report of the above

Urine sugar - 0
RBC Urine - NIL / hpf
Pus Cells - 0-1 / hpf
Epithelial Cells - 0-1 / HPF

The cultural test they said will be ready in 3 days so when i get that i will send you

I really hope UTI is the reason for me not been able to empty the bladder because the rest of the things i read are scary and i am really worried ;-(
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 12 hours later
Your reports are absolutely normal.
Please do not be scared of the things which i have mentioned. they can be managed easily. only thing is to reach the correct diagnosis. hopefully your symptoms will go away with time. I would still sugest to repeat the post void residue in Ultrasound because some times when a person is very anxious at the time of the test he is not able to pass the urine completely.
Hope that helps
Follow-up: Dont get the urge to urinate. Ultra sound scan showed normal report. Treatment? 9 hours later
today is 29th october and i am better now with going to toilet every approx. 2hrs which is ok cos i am drinking lot of water but yes i will repeat the ultra sound but after i stay well for next few days.

i am planning to do another ultra sound but at a differnet place so things can be compared.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 34 minutes later
That’s OK.

Inform me the results once they are done and I will be able to guide you further.

All the best...
Follow-up: Dont get the urge to urinate. Ultra sound scan showed normal report. Treatment? 8 hours later
today I am having to go toilet every 10 - 15mins :(
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later
I will suggest you XXXXXXX your doctor and consider starting these medications under his guidance.

Tab Levoflox as an antibiotic cover.
Tab urispas (fluvoxate) to decrease urethral irritability.

If you are sexually active, abstain from relationship for few days. Repeat the ultrasound today and if post void urine (PVR) and any stones in urethra.

If PVR is still high, you will have to XXXXXXX your doctor. He may suggest for a tube in urine passage (foleys) to remove the extra urine.

I can understand these symptoms are very troubling and there is a constant urge to urinate because of irritability of the urine passage. However, it will go away with time.

So contact your doctor and follow his advice.

Bye for now.
Follow-up: Dont get the urge to urinate. Ultra sound scan showed normal report. Treatment? 3 days later
i am now taking saw palmetto and my culture routine results showed normal and had no bacteria the doctor said.

so i googled about the best herb for this and saw palmetto has the benefit so going to try that for a 4 - 5 months and see the results.