Done with blood test. Is my report normal?

Excellent

Question
I am a 64 year old woman. I just had a routine blood test . All the numbers were good except for Alk Phos--298. My doc said , since I hadn't taken previous blood tests for her, she had nothing to compare this possilby, for me, normal level. Would you call this slightly high? thanks
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Repeat test, if still very high, other tests to be

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I think an alkaline phoshatase level of 298 in adult, I am afraid is high. It is very true that its measurement is subject to a lot of fluctuations.

I would prefer you get the test done again in a weeks time. If its still persistently raised as such, a careful evaluation of liver, gall bladder and bone function should be checked for. An abdominal ultrasound, liver function tests and a radioisotope bone scan could helpful. Bone metastasis (tumor that has spread to the bone) could manifest themselves as such.

However, errors in these values form blood (sample collection) to actual testing and results are not uncommon. I therefore suggest repeating the test in a recommended laboratory in a weeks time, and following up with above mentioned tests, in case values remain high.

Feel free asking follow up questions. i shall be glad to contribute to making you feel better and better understanding your health. thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD

Follow-up: Done with blood test. Is my report normal? 16 hours later
Dr. Bain--thank you for writing. I was in error on the number, it's 286. My doctor has had me take an alkaline phosphatase -isoenzyme test, and also a Sed Rate Erythrocyte test. She referred to the Alk Phos level as "slightly elevated."

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its still higher than normal. A control test neede

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid even at 286, it is still elevated and i suggest will still require a control test to be taken again. IN case the value is still above the upper limit, I suggest an evaluation of the liver, gall bladder and bone function should be checked for. An abdominal ultrasound, liver function tests and a radioisotope bone scan shall be important to be checked for normality. But first, a control test, in a good laboratory, under good and standard conditions to avoid error is my advice and conviction.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking further questions for clarification. I will be glad contributing to your well being. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD