Done with MRI scan and showed mistiness on L3 and suggested a bone scan. Need doctor opinion?

Dec 2012

I had an MRI scan recently and it showed a 'mistiness' on L3 and suggested a bone scan. My GP thinks it is unnecessary. As it is free I think 'why not' . Do you have an opinion? Kit
that should of course say 'jolts'!
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Info provided by MRI usually is more specific

Detailed Answer:
Hello Kit,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

When dealing with bone diseases, information provided by MRI could be much more specific and could sometimes be superior than scan. I also agree with your GP as to the exams being unnecessary but if it is free as you say, then I also see no contraindication given that it could provide some alternative information that the MRI might not have picked out. 'Mistiness' on L3 could signify mild osteoarthritis or demineralization. You might require just some pain killers or antiinflammatory. Calcium supplements could also enhance your bone structures. You also will require physical therapy to help improve your quality of life as back ache could be sometimes very troublesome.
I do feel you should take into consideration your GP's opinion.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Feel free to write back if further questions available.
Dr. Nsah