Ask a Dentist   »  

Done root canal. Have swollen abscess, painful. Should this be extracted?

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I had a root canal on #19 in 1999. In 2009 I had to go in for re-treatment. Recently it has been hurting and a small swollen abscess emerged and went away on the inside gum.

I went to an Endo who said he thought the root was fractured and that it had to be extracted.

I then went to the Perio who said he didn't think it was fractured but that #19 was suffering from external resorption, and he recommended extraction and implant. (for the bargain price of $4K)

I have attached the 2009 xray (left thumbnail) and the xray taken 2 days ago. Does this look like an obvious extraction case?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 23 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and the x-ray pictures. I have seen them in depth.

I would be glad to answer your query.

According to the dental history and the dental x-rays presented by you, it seems to be a case of resorption of root. Your dentist is right when he says that the tooth needs to be extracted, because in some cases of chronic infection, tooth undergoes resorption.

In such circumstances, the root of the tooth becomes very weak, it perforates, causing failure of root canal treatment. Therefore, if the tooth is painful or associated with an abscess, extraction is the first line of treatment.

Do not worry; get your tooth extracted by an oral surgeon as the roots are quite weak, raising the chances of tooth fracture.

I hope I answered your query. Any more questions are welcome.

I wish you good health.