Done medical abortion. Sonography shows bulky uterus with altered texture. Advice?

I recently underwent a medical termination of pregnancy last week. Today is the 9 day after I took my first pill. My follow up sonography says that the uterus is bulky with altered echotexture though there are no remains of the foetus. I had a twin pregnancy. Is there anything to worry?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 44 minutes later

I understand that you underwent medical termination of pregnancy 9 days back and worried about Ultrasound report. You also have fibroid removed laproscopically.

The above mentioned ultrasound findings are normal after medical abortion.

Wait for another 1 week and repeat the ultrasound. Also get examined by Gynecologist, if you have any symptoms.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Done medical abortion. Sonography shows bulky uterus with altered texture. Advice? 16 minutes later

Thank you so much for the reply! I am relieved..However I would also like to bring to your notice that I had a small sub serosal fibroid detected in this USG. This however was there in the past as well. The recent report clearly mentions that there is a well-defined hypoechoic lesion seen in the posterior walls of the uterus. Though this small fibroid was there when I was operated for the larger one, I was still wondering if the existing uetrine condition is because of the same. Also I missed out on the thick endometrium point in my last question. I have a bulky uterus with altered echotexture and a thick endometrium. I would really appreciate your reply. Thanks again!

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Bulky uterus and thick endometrium is common finding on 9th day of medical abortion. Sometimes fibroid grows in size during pregnancy. As of now you have to wait and get the USG ( Ultrasonogram ) done after 1 week.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.