Done exercise to get rid of scalp inflammation, vibration in scalp, CT scan shows sinus polyp. Further tests?

About three years ago i was doing this exercise I read about in a magazine to help me get rid of scalp inflammation. It involved bringing the eyebrows up and then pushing the head back. I was doing all day because the inflammation was annoying for maybe a month or so and during it I felt something tearing up around my scalp but i stupidly i continued it. Then one day after about a month of doing it something felt very out of place in my head and its gotten worse during the three years since. It feels like something there is only partially attached and it is always moving around. Its basically all over the surface of my head besides my face. Just feels physically out of place and sometimes it feels as if tiny strings holding things together are pulling apart. Also sometimes an area just vibrates and throbs for a few minutes and it feels like some string is unraveling. CT scan comes back only with sinus polyp but not in the one on top of the head. Its really ruining my life. Can you possibly suggest what it is and what further tests I can do? Thanks very much
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding the transient migratory like nerve symptoms, tense feeling and pulling sensations along with little bit of throbs I would like to consider the possibility of tension type headache. Though your symptoms are not classical of tension type headache, I would like to consider this as the possibility. Tension headaches may be caused by muscle tension around the head and neck.

There are a couple of other things which come to mind with the symptoms you report and none of them is life-threatening. Most of your symptoms looks to me like related to your anxiety, stress and strain.

My recommendation would be for you to see a Neurologist for a good examination and consultation to exclude other causes which mimic like tension type headache. If you have any symptoms suggestive of stress, anxiety and even depression I would advise you to see a clinical psychologist for a comprehensive assessment and treatment. Cognitive behavioral therapy would be an ideal long term option in you for optimal control of your symptoms.

I want to reassure you that the current symptoms does not signify any serious life threatening neurological disorder.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful.

If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.
Follow-up: Done exercise to get rid of scalp inflammation, vibration in scalp, CT scan shows sinus polyp. Further tests? 1 hour later
Thanks for the informative and helpful reply. Firstly, I am psychologically fine and the only discomfort I have is from the symptoms I mentioned. I have seen a few doctors about this and they have all been very sure that I could not have caused any structural changes or ripped any part of the scalp or meninges or anything. You too seem to have ruled that out. Can you please clarify to me why if i was doing that exercise for a while, for more of the day, and if I felt ripping sensations while doing it, that its impossible that there was something i inadvertently tore or messed up? could i have stretched things too far apart and the things holding them together snapped? Im almost certain all this came from the exercise because it occurred around the region i was doing the exercise on and during the period of doing the exercise, and Id been healthy up till then. In regards to it being a migraine, its not really sore it just feels like things are out of place and they are moving in different planes, not just throbbing. Hope to hear from you soon, Eli.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up query. I think it looks to me like you had some kind of "tic" like disorder where you felt your scalp inflammation was relieved by doing such kind of exercises for the scalp. Theoretically one can say that too much of exercises or stretching can injure the scalp muscles and underlying nerves. But I feel it may not be the case. Stop doing the exercises and see if it improves your problem. If not schedule an appointment with the Neurologist for a detailed evaluation.

wishing you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Follow-up: Done exercise to get rid of scalp inflammation, vibration in scalp, CT scan shows sinus polyp. Further tests? 27 minutes later
Dr, I said in my first message that i havent done it for three years and things have gotten worse during this time. I have an appointment with a neurologist, do they (you) have ways of evaluating the scalp, and all the layers from hair to brain, and see any thing wrong there?
Also you dont think that sinus problems could cause these sensations?
In any case can i confirm that you think its impossible or very unlikely that i could have done serious damage from this exercise, and if i would have asked you before about it you wouldnt have thought anything harmful with it? Can i be confident that even if this turns out to be problems in the scalp muscles there is no serious danger as you said in your first message?
Sorry to be a bit obsessive just this problem annoys me very much. Thanks very much, Eli.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up question.

You need to see the Neurologist and decide if you have to undergo MRI after a detailed clinical examination. However we don't have any test to screen all the layers of the scalp. MRI can only say if there is gross problems like infections, tumors and blood clots.

I am sure it is not related to sinus problem. Also I am pretty confident in saying that you are not suffering from any serious neurological disorder. So be calm till you XXXXXXX your Neuro and if required go for a scan or else only symptomatic treatment.

Dr Shiva Kumar R