Done TVS scan, ultrasound, free fluid in pouch of Douglas, no abdominal pain, no spotting. Effect of free fluid?

Hi I am 27 years old female , Sara I got my TVS scan done and performed ultrasound also. Results are that "Free Fluid is seen in the pouch of Douglas" and Yolk sac is seen measuring 0.35 cms.Embryomnic pole and fetal node not yet seen.Moderate decidual reaction is noted XXXXXXX Os is closed.cervical length 3.0cms.ovaries are normal My age -27 and Height - 5feet 4 inches weight- 60 kgs.Blood Pressure - 110/80 , i am worried and concerned to know what is this free fluid and will it effect further and i have not expereinced pain in my abdomen neither i have experienced any spotting
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for putting up your query here.

Pouch of XXXXXXX is rectouterine pouch or a peritoneal fold in between the uterus and rectum. There can be normal peritoneal fluid which is minimal in amount. It is usually clear.

It can be due to pelvic inflammatory disease also.

In early pregnancy one has to exclude the doubt of an ectopic pregnancy, but in that case sac wouldn't have been visible intrauterine as in your case so no need to worry.

It can be due to rupture of ova and can remain upto 5-6 weeks and gets gradually absorbed.

Get your ultrasound repeated at 6 weeks of pregnancy as I am not aware of your last menstrual period.

At 6 weeks, you will definitely see the foetal node and you can compare the amount of free fluid which should not increase in the quantity.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.