Done LFT test. Elevated level of SGOT and SGPT. Meaning?

2 hours
Some days back i have got done LFT test done all the reading were fine and within limits but i have elevated levels of SGOT(AST) and SGPT(ALT).Reading Are

SGOT(AST)------37(reference range 5-34)
SGPT(ALT)-------61(reference range5-55)

Also doctor has given me HP-KIT medicine for 1 week is this range need to be worried about also i drinking alcohol twice a week is this problem is due to alcohol also my cholesterol level are For total cholesterol is 211mg/dl and for LDL  cholesterol is 140.60mg/dl ,And i haven't drinking since two weeks and also finished my medicine course.

What does these elevated levels of SGOT and SGPT means?
What does cholesterol means here?

Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Elevated liver enzymes due to liver cell injury.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

SGOT and SGPT are liver enzymes. They are elevated due to liver cell damage. Doctors call it as Hepatitis.

In your case it is due to Alcohol induced liver cell damage. But the good thing is that it is only borderline elevation, which indicates that it is in the initial stages and can be reversed it alcohol is stopped.

Secondly cholesterol is a lipoprotein. There are good and bad cholesterol.

LDL is a bad cholesterol which is elevated in you. Rise in bad cholesterol increases the risk of heart diseases like coronary artery disease.

This is also due to alcohol as it provides a lot of empty calories and they are stored in the liver and injure the liver.

Then this is released in the blood which cases hyperlipidemia.

HP KIT is used to treat H pylori infection. It is a bacteria which infects the stomach.

Hope the answer helps you.
Let me know it there are any clarifications.

Follow-up: Done LFT test. Elevated level of SGOT and SGPT. Meaning? 16 minutes later
Hello doctor also I need to ask that I have some warm feeling in my stomach or can can
hello doctor I need to ask that today I'm feeling some warm feeling inside my stomach or liver are these level are high for lft test also can you please suggest me what things will make my liver function properly again means it will be get back and it was previously so can you please tell me can I take 1 or 2 drinks of alcohol.or when can I start taking drinks again because I relish it your opinion would help me.
Brief Answer:
Borderline elevation of LFT.

Detailed Answer:

The liver enzymes are not elevates very much. It is only borderline elevation.
In my patient I will wait and watch and repeat the LFT after month and advice to stop alcohol.

Due to warmth(? fever) I may thinking in terms of infective hepatitis like Hepatitis B and c.

Test your blood for Hepatitis B antigen and let me know.

My advice is to stop alcohol until it returns to normal after which 1 ounces may be taken for 3 day a week.

Follow-up: Done LFT test. Elevated level of SGOT and SGPT. Meaning? 38 minutes later
Hello doctor I just went to my doctor to get his opinion I showed him all my medical report and by looking at the report he was not at all worried he also told me nothing to worry about and everything is on the limits and he prescribed me uviliv 300 once daily for 15 days and he also suggested me me to cut down on all the spices because I was feeling warm inside my stomach are liver
Brief Answer:
Yes, it's only borderline rise.

Detailed Answer:

It's only borderline rise. It is not clinically significant.
Uviliv is a liver protective agent.
Continue the doctor's advice.

Best of luck.