Dog bite, immunized for rabies, cleaned with peroxide, iodine. Doses of TT?

my neighbors dog bit me yesterday... i got a TT & day 0 dose of rabipur. the dog is apparently immunized for rabies & doesn't look rabid (well maintained doberman) how many doses should I get now?

Also, please let me know if I can bandage the bitten area (hand) - the duty doctor yesterday asked me to leave it open )after cleaning it with perox & iodine...

Age: 40, Male 66kg, not major medical issues
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

I also am sorry to hear that you were bitten by this dog. I am very glad to hear however that the dog was immunized against rabies. This puts your risk for rabies and essentially zero.

Since you are aware that the animal was immunized I see no indication to continue any additional treatments for that. No more injections are necessary in my opinion. The one thing we need to be watchful for however is a bacterial infection. The mouth of a dog just like the mouth of any animal has bacteria inside it which can cause an infection after a bite.

I agree with management including keeping the area open. Leaving the area open encourages drainage of any inflammatory fluids. Your immune system will work on a laminating any residual bacteria that may have been present.

You need to be watchful for any significant swelling or redness which may develop in the coming days. Also if you develop any significant fever or chills within this time. You should bring this to the attention of your doctor. Antibiotic therapy might be considered in that case.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.
Follow-up: Dog bite, immunized for rabies, cleaned with peroxide, iodine. Doses of TT? 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

But since I have taken 1 Rabipur shot already, is it okay if i discontinue the remaining 4 doses?

regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

The answer to your question is yes you can discontinue taking anymore of the rabies medication at this time. The main reason why rabies medications are used is when people are bitten by animals with an unknown vaccination status. Since you are clearly aware of the vaccination status of the dog. There is no indication for you to take any type of prophylaxis. By this I mean at this time you do not take anymore of the rabipur.

Thanks again for the question and follow up. I hope my answer has served to be helpful for you. Again I am here if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert