Does trapped nerve cause pins and needles in hands and aching in forearm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been aching for six months mainly hands and forearm. Get pins and needles in my hands mainly at night in bed. My whole body feels sore. Only way I can describe is my blood feels bad. All blood tests have come back ok. Doctor referring me to physio as thinks trapped nerve but I am not convinced. A prodding feeling in my side now and again leaves me tender. Can't carry on like this I feel m gp things it all in my mind
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be fibromyalgia. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain the arms and sometimes on whole body with all the normal investigation reports can be due to fibromyalgia. This can also be related to thoracic outlet syndrome that can be diagnosed after MRI scan of the neck. The pins and needles in the hands can be due to injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the hands as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling and pins and needle sensations. Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve. Do consult a neurologist if the symptoms are persistent. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Does trapped nerve cause pins and needles in hands and aching in forearm? 46 hours later
My mother seems to think it could be stress as my symptoms do also match. I will list out my concerns: Achy all over Pins and needles in arms mainly whilst in bed Pains in hands, wrist and forearm Occasional shooting pain in back (this was the start of my troubles) Weight gain around abdomen area Slight hair loss Increased facial hair am dark haired so more noticeable however have noticed this for quite some time now No interest socially just go to work then that is it! I used to take citalopram for depression and my mother thinks maybe I should go back on it but I don't really want to go back on them if I can help it. I don't feel depressed only my ailments are getting me down.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Cannot only be due to anxiety. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The symptoms you have could be related to anxiety and stress but we must rule out the organic causes like electrolyte imbalance, thyroid hormone problems, hormonal imbalance, depression, disc degeneration, etc with the help of a physician after proper investigations. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards