Does the use of crystal meth in the past makes skin prone to acne?

If I used crystal meth in the past will that make my skin more acne prone?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 30 year old female.
• History of anxiety.
• Concern related acne with past use of crystal meth.

Meth abuse causes the destruction of tissues and blood vessels, inhibiting the body's ability to repair itself. With meth use acne becomes, sores take longer to heal, and the skin looses its luster and elasticity, making the user appear years, even decades older.

So it is clear meth use affect existing acne. Past history of crystal meth does not affect acne eruption, although skin lose elasticity with meth use.

Considering your age and other co morbities following other causes of your acne possible in your case in following hierarchy:

-Hormonal problem: as you have history of anxiety so get your thyroid hormone level done after advice from physician
-Age related: acne common between 20-30 age group because of multiple hormonal issues specially testosterone.
-Meth use and meth withdrawal cause elevated levels of cortisol and other hormones which may cause acne. But you have stopped its use already.

Irrespective of cause following measures will help you: eat fruits, drink plenty of water and wash your face 4 times a day with a good face wash.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.