Does steroid injection or microgynon delay period?

I am 28 years old 5'2 roughly 9stone I've been on microgynon 30 for around 10 years. Last week I got a steroid injection in both my shoulders to treat tendonitis my period was due on monday and still hasn't arrived. Does the injection effect my menstrual cycle? Also does it effect the pill? Am I still safe?! I am in good health otherwise and excersize at everyday.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 4 hours later

Microgynon is a relatively low dose monophasic pill.
The BNF ( British National Formulary) a drug guide, says that the oestrogen in the contraceptive pill slightly increases the plasma concentration of the steroid but does not mention any effects on the effcicacy of the pill.

So be reassured. There is absolutely no change in the clinical efficacy of the Microgynon if you take steroids concurrently. You are absolutely safe and am sure you will have your periods soon.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Does steroid injection or microgynon delay period? 16 hours later
I have been on my week break from the pill and am due to go on it again on Friday - should i go ahead and take it on Friday even if i haven't had my periods?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 3 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

Well, get a Urine Pregnancy test on Friday if you don't get your periods by then.. If its negative, continue your pills as recommended.

Please accept the answer if you do not have any more queries at this point.

Dr Kiran