Ask a Urologist   »  

Does presence of pus cells in urine indicate any abnormality?

I have PCOD caught urine infection few weeks back. my first culture report indicated pus cells : 3-4/hpf RBC : 10-12 epithelial : 6-8 after 10 days of medication my new report indicates pus cells : 8-10 RBC : nil epithelial : 7-8 do i need to still consult the doctor and take medication or is it not required now?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: See detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi there Thank you for sending in your query. The presence of pus cells in urine is a sign of infection. Do you have any symptoms suggestive of UTI like fever, increased frequency, burning sensation when you pass urine or hesitancy? If yes then you need to do a urine culture and see a doctor with the results. If you have recurrent episodes of UTIs we need to do some more tests: 1) Ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder. 2) Blood tests to rule out Diabetes If on the other hand you have absolutely no symptoms we could wait and watch and may be repeat the test in a few days time. I hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have any more queries. Dr Bhabhe
Follow-up: Does presence of pus cells in urine indicate any abnormality? 30 minutes later
i have none of the above symptoms. i was frequently urinating before medication. when the reports suggested i have infection i was put on medication for the same. but after those 10 days of medication there are no more symptoms. the second culture report that i have mentioned above is after the medication period. in which there are no rbc. but there is still some pus but i am not experiencing any symptoms. i do not have diabetes. would just drinking lot of water and vitamic C rich diet be sufficient or should i be taking antibiotics to get rid of the pus?
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: See detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi Again So you had a symptomatic UTI the first time and now you have asymptomatic pyuria (pus cells in the urine). Pus cells in the urine could be a remnant from the old infection or it could be a recurrent UTI. So I would advise you to do a urine culture and sensitivity test ( the reports which you have put up are just of urine microscopy). A urine culture will confirm if the UTI has recurred. Based on the results we could decide if you need another course of antibiotic. Regards Dr Bhabhe