Does mastrubation reduce conentration?

I masturbate daily and I think that is the reason I cant concentrate on my studies.....My analytical ability and memory power are shrinking.....Please do help me!!
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is Worry and not masturabtion that harms you Detailed Answer: Welcome to HCM! I have read your query carefully and can see that you are concerned about your studies, you think that your declining academic performance is related to daily habit of masturabtion. Well, from my clinical knowledge and research available, I can surely tell you that doing masturbation does not harm ones body. It is perfectly normal thing for someone of your age group. Doing masturbation is not behind your reduced concentration but yes, the time you are giving in it and the distracting thoughts do not let you concentarte. it is a common myth in society which says that masturabtion makes the body weak, but there never has been any evidence to all this. You must have heard that bad thoughts brings fear and results in reduced strengths. So, stay away from the thoughts like- masturabtion is harmful, because it is not... Now, it becomes necessary that you try out these measures: 1. devote specific fixed hours to your studies, try to do only studies at that time 2. You should go about making a time table for each subject 3. may be try out group studies for some time so that you are not inclined towards distracting sexual thoughts 4. set a goal for your self, like that you will do certain topics in one day and write it down in front of you from whee you can see it, this will help your concentration back to the task 5. take good diet , include walnuts, almonds and flax seeds, sprouts in your meal ( they are very good for brain and help in improving attention) It is not unusual complaint at this age, so, do not worry, there is no harm coming to your body by doing masturabtion. But definitely, try not to spend much time in it. ## It will be helpful if you get your thyroid levels, complete blood counts done. it will help to rule out any minor problems there which may cause decreased concentration. Please feel free to ask more questions for clarifictaion If you are satisfied, kindly rate the answer and close the query. Dr. Manisha Gopal MD psychiatry
Follow-up: Does mastrubation reduce conentration? 5 days later
My concentration level is definitely reduced.....and as you said it may be due to distracting thoughts....Well my wellwishers say its due to my depleting interest in my domain of study.....but it is not just that.......I am a hostelite and I came to a single room so that I can concentrate on my studies from three students room.....but I am watching a lot of tv shows instead......I've watched repeats of some episodes of 'Friends' tv show like more than 20 times.......I dont know why i am obssesing over watching it so much.....I think its because it deviates from my uninteresting curricullum........Are watching such tv shows affecting my thoughts?.....because I used to be an intelligent student who used to concentrate on studies.......but now I am a drifter who always thinks why my life is not interesting as theirs or when will it become as interesting as their lives.....??
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Group study is better, go to library-start studies Detailed Answer: Hello, It seems that you are not interested in the present curriculum which you are pursuing. Well, many times we have do thing which we donot like,( like this course), but performing bad or not studying will make the situation will feel guilty about wasting your precious time and getting low grades. You have been a good student, so I think it will be wise to at least complete the present course which you are now in and later you can move ahead to do what interest you. Your friend are right in mentioning that your concentration is distracted, may be towards TV or anything else. You have dhifted to a single room for better studies, but I must tell you that it is almost always better to have a group study whenever possible ( of course with people of almost same level of intellect or preffrably better). To study alone one needs to have a very good satiman and consistency ( which slips frequently). this is what has been happening to you now...had you been along with others you would not have been able to see TV so much ( as it would be disturbing others), or they would have asked you reapetedly to study and seeing them study would have completed you to complete and study, leaving that room had some disadvantages. For now you can do following - you may visit your friends for some hours and do group study or you can go to a library and study there...there will not be many things to distract you. A good student is happy by studying nicely , so it will be wise to start fighting back- 1. put off the Tv or may be just remove it from your room, 2. make a timetable 3. concentrate on studies, call up friends to break the monotony and discuss topic you find tough 4. reduce time spent in watching provocative movies Hope the reply is useful Please feel free to ask more questions for clarifictaion Dr. Manisha Gopal MD Psychiatry