Does kidney problem cause lower back pain on right side?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have lower back pain on my right side just below my belt line. I have had x-rays, MRI and cat scan and all show just normal wear and tear for a 69 year old male. My mother had a kidney problem that caused her lower back pain, could that be causing my problem?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Following measure will be helpful. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Your lower back pain seems to be due to age related changes in your low back. If you are not suffering from numbness or weakness in your lower limb(s) or able to sit for prolonged time then nothing to worry. Kidney problem pain can radiate to lower back but it also associated with other symptoms. Following measure will be helpful for your lower back pain- 1. Sleep over hard surface without using mattress, 2. Avoid lifting weights by leaning forward or bending your back. Rather sit and lift the object, 3. Exercises for strengthening your back muscles like lifting legs straight, bending legs over chest, pelvic bridging exercises - twice a day will help you. 4. If the pain is acute, then a course of muscle relaxants and analgesics for a week will do. Please consult your doctor before following my advise. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care