Does intake of Androgel induce panic attacks and anxiety ?

I am 69 and have been taking Androgel for past 9 years at 5g per day. On occasion, would double the dose ... a few times a month for 2-3 days. For the past year or so, I am getting more and more anxiousness, panic attacks. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. My wife says that it's time for me to diminish or cease Androgel. She says that my anxiety and mood swings are related to that Is she right?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 20 hours later

I do understand from the provided details that you had been taking Androgel (Testosterone) for the past 9 years. Mood swings are well documented with testosterone therapy. Having said I am more concerned about your prostate now.

Are you testing your prostate size, PSA levels and hemoglobin regularly? These parameters are to be monitored at periodic interval. If not done please do get these tests done. It should be part of your annual physical each year.

I would also like to know why was androgel prescribed for you. was it for andropause? If it was for andropause you can consider stopping androgel.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Does intake of Androgel induce panic attacks and anxiety ? 46 minutes later
Thank you. Yes, I have my PSA checked yearly and I get a rectal exam. I get regular blood work also , so I presume that he checks hemoglobin. When I started Androgel it was for andropause but my doctor always said that the tetesterone lab test where just so-so reliable. Rather, its was "how you felt".

I was thinking of reducing my Androgel to 2.5 per day and see if my anxiety/mood with become OK. Although, I don't know if its prudent at my age to stay on Androgel....on the other hand, if I stop it entirely, will I still have a sex life ?? I'm afraid of that part. Thanks and hope you can respond.
Follow-up: Does intake of Androgel induce panic attacks and anxiety ? 5 minutes later
p.s. if I stop androgel completely, does that mean that my body will not produce testeterone anymore and i will become completely impotent....
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 20 minutes later

Thanks for the Follow-up

I do understand that testosterone was given for the probable diagnosis of andropause and you had been monitored regularly.

You need not be worried about your sexual functions, as anxiety itself will reduce your sexual performance. Options would be to gradually decrease under the guidance of a physician. It is important to see what happens to your mood swings and sexual functions.

Wish you good health.