Does "doubtful area in the head of the pancreas" mean cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I have had an ultrasound scan and worried to death about the findings, the sentence below doesn't mean cancer does it? Also there is a doubtful area in the head of the pancreas which has been described as subtle. This is a limitation on ultrasound and needs further imaging by CT scan or MRI scan
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes,you need further investigations. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Yes,you need further evaluation. Ultrasonography for pancreas gives only initial information. Probably there is some problem in the head of pancreas and without further investigations like Contrast CT Scan of abdomen and ERCP ,final diagnosis is not possible. You don't need to be so worried.You can't conclude cancer form USG reports. Subtle hypoechogenecity in the head of the pancreas may be due to many reasons like focal pancreatitis. Besides clinical correlation you also need few blood investigations to correlate the findings. You need routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Serum amylase and lipase level. Serum amylase and lipase are important for diagnosing focal Pancreatitis. You don't worry at all.You should go for further investigations. Proper treatment depend upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Does "doubtful area in the head of the pancreas" mean cancer? 1 hour later
I go on holiday abroad in 6 weeks am I safe to go or should I cancel

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: I think first you should confirm your diagnosis. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back It is important to know about your symptoms like pain,jaundice. I think first you should confirm your diagnosis then you can proceed for holidays.Otherwise you will have doubt and it will spoil your holidays. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX