Does depo shot cause difficulty in conceiving?

Question
hi , I have three children my two first I had to go to a fertitly doctor to help get ovulated in order to get pregnant but my thrird came all own her own with the help of fertitlity. Oh and I also have OPCS ..so ever since I had my third baby ..who is now two ..I have been taking the depo shot up until last month. My husband and I was wondering will it be hard for us to get pregnant? I have been doing some research and have read that a a lot of woemen after getting off the depo shot are having difficulty getting pregnant.. is that true?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: PCOS first, Then further management, yes for depo Detailed Answer: Good day Miss PinkyBeany! Thank you for asking.I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your concern for getting pregnant. Miss PinkyBeany i want you to know that Depo provera has a half life of 50 days and until it is out of your system, the odds for pregnancy are pretty low. one depot shot is for 3 to 6 months and pregnancy gets possible after 6 months of the shot but still hard to conceive for next few months, Its game of hormones and medroxyprogesterones that abundant are not friendly with conception. Now another obstacle for the conception is the PCOS. Unless you treat this trouble for good, odds for pregnancy stays too low. Losing weight would be a good start.But by natural means and avoiding cheap publicity stunts and even lipid lowering agents like statins in high doses. Then modifying diet and using fiber; decreased refined carbohydrates, trans fats, and saturated fats; and increased omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acids,omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin d supplementation is next. Then ADA diet for diabetics with metformin is next. Following options you need to discuss with your doctor for PCOS treatment Oral contraceptive agents (eg, ethinyl estradiol, medroxyprogesterone) Antiandrogens (eg, spironolactone, leuprolide, finasteride) Hypoglycemic agents (eg, metformin, insulin) Selective estrogen receptor modulators (eg, clomiphene citrate) Topical hair-removal agents (eg, eflornithine) Topical acne agents (eg, benzoyl peroxide, tretinoin topical cream (0.02–0.1%)/gel (0.01–0.1%)/solution (0.05%), adapalene topical cream (0.1%)/gel (0.1%, 0.3%)/solution (0.1%), erythromycin topical 2%, clindamycin topical 1%, sodium sulfacetamide topical 10%) If above methods fail, last resort at restoring ovulation would be surgical intervention like Electrocautery Laser drilling Multiple biopsy etc Remember In PCOS even if you conceive you will be at increased risk for gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, cesarean delivery, and preterm and postterm delivery. In addition, your newborns will be at increased risk of being large for gestational age, but they will not be at increased risk of stillbirth or neonatal death. So my advice is first get rid of PCOS by doing as directed by your gynecologist.And then seeking a fertility consultant for further management. Miss pinky bean hope it helps.Take good care of your self and have a good day.Dont forget to close the discussion please. Regards Khan

Follow-up: Does depo shot cause difficulty in conceiving? 2 hours later
i was dignosed with pcos when I was a teenager but now that I was able to get pregnant with my last child on my own without the help of fertility doesn't that mean..i may have overcome pcos? So I could still get pregnant after the 6months of depo is out of my system correct?i was dignosed with pcos when I was a teenager but now that I was able to get pregnant with my last child on my own without the help of fertility doesn't that mean..i may have overcome pcos? So I could still get pregnant after the 6months of depo is out of my system correct?

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Very correct Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking Again Miss Pinky Bean! Yes very correct. But it will need a fertility consultant to help the conception. Hope you see it in a right perspective. Wait for depo to get out of the system completely.Half of them goes out in 50 days. And then half of remaining half in next 50. So average 6 months. Good luck Khan