Does consumption of supplements like protein powder or fat burner cause side effects?

May 2013
Hi Doctor,
I am 27 yrs hobby is body building.some of my coaches suggests me to have supplements like protein powders..i am unmarried and about to marry in few months...does consumptions of supplements like protein powders,fat burners causes any side effects (like impotency,BP problems,acidic natures) especially. our coach suggests me to take fat bruners prior to my work-out and beef aminos at after work-outs (the brand names are "universal and the product beef aminos. link is attached for ref. XXXXXXX WWW.WWWW.WW cfm" and Methyldrene fat burners"...kindly suggest..
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi Kuttalamk,
thanks for the query.

Normally 1 to 2 grams of protein/ kg body weight is recommended.

excessive intake of protein powder or amino acids can cause weight gain, kidney problems, osteoporosis, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, gastritis, bloating etc.

fat burners can lead to side effects like increased heart rate , blood pressure if contains ephedrine like stimulants,
they can also cause euphoria, increase alertness, in case of sensitivity they can cause jitters, red face, agitation, dehydration, very rarely even they are said to cause death of the using person etc.

reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
as such they are not described to cause impotency but be aware that,
-use the drugs only after consulting doctor,
-you have to know about all the ingredients present in the supplements.
-take enough water so that kidneys can flush the supplements through the body.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.