Does UTI cause bleeding?

Can a UTI make you bleed? It could get period but if not I am very worried about this. We're your pee comes out burns and hurts and I feel like I need to pee all the time (my bladder is leaking) and now there is blood when I pee. Your period has a different smell from normal blood and this just doesn't seem like my period to me
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Given your description, I would consider that we are probably looking at a urinary tract infection here. This infection involves the tract through which the urine flows. It is commonly caused by bacteria like Escherichia coli, Klebsiella etc. This commonly causes burning while urination, an increased frequency of urination and having to get up in the night to pass urine. This can cause bleeding with urination. The blood that you have seen is not due to the periods. The infection is not likely to affect your menstrual cycle.
Urinary infections are common in women and are easily treatable. The treatment of this would involve the following:
a. Drink plenty of fluids
b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection.
c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate
d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Does UTI cause bleeding? 1 hour later
Thank you I will try to make an appointment tomorrow. What about drinks with electrolights like pediasure and Gatorade as well as water would that be ok? Are there drinks I should avoid to keep it from getting worse? Again thank you and God bless!!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you can take electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like Garotade. Avoid taking citrus juices.
Taking more fluids will help in flushing out the infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.