Does Thyronorm intake during pregnancy affect growth of the fetus?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello Dr. My wife, (age: 29) is pregnant and currently fifth month of pregnancy is running. She had TSH level 6.6 and taking Thyronorm 25 daily. I would like to know that this drug affects the baby growth in terms of physical as well as mental. And please also tell me that baby have any abnormalities due to this TSH level. I am eager to hear from you. Thanking you..
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thyroid hormone is beneficial for growing fetus Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Thyroid hormone is required for overall growth of the fetus especially nervous system. Thyroid hormone present in the mother crosses placenta and acts on the fetus and stimulate fetus growth. Deficiency of which may induce goiter in fetus. Supplementing thyroid hormone and if the deficiency of thyroid hormone is due to iodine deficiency Will be beneficial for the growing fetus. The external given thyroid hormone does not have deleterious effect on baby. Rest be assured there is no cause of concern. It's important to give iodine supplements and maintain TSH within normal limits. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: Does Thyronorm intake during pregnancy affect growth of the fetus? 20 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your response. Herewith I am forwarding TSH report of my wife which were performed on 26-11-13 and 25-1-14. So, please analyze the report and suggest me any changes in dose of Thyronorm or any changes in treatment. After 26-11-13, she diagnosed with hypothyroidism and our gyanec dr. started Thyronorm 12.5. Further, TSH test performed on 25-1-14, and our dr. increased the dose from 12.5 to 25 mcg. If you found any correction in the treatment then please advise me. I am worry about the growth of my first baby due to deficiency of Thyroid hormone. So, it is my humble request to you that give me appropriate advise me on this regards. I am awaiting for your response. Thanking you sir, Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: increase the dosage to 100 micro grams of Thyronor Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Mr XXXXXXX Being a Pediatric Surgeon I am actively involved in antenatal counselling. According to recent guidelines expecting mother who have Hypothyroidism should be started on replacement dose of Thyronorm with the aim to maintain TSH level below 3. As the recent TSH value of your wife is above 6, In my opinion I would suggest to increase the dosage to 100 micro grams in consultation with your treating Physician. I Would Also Recommend Weekly TSH level And Further Dose adjustement. Also iodine supplementation in the diet in form of iodized salt is recommended. Pregnancy is a supra physiological state with increased demand for nutrition and hormone and it's quite logical to face with situation of Hypothyroidism. ( Normal functioning Thyroid gland may not be able to meet the increased demand). Thyronorm supplementation along with iodine is all that is required along with monitoring of TSH. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon