Does Metoprolol cause bradycardia?
User rating for this question
Hello, Greetings Dr XXXXXX. My name is XXXXX 28 years old, Since 2008 I was diagnosed with Left Ventricular Arrhythmia because I went to live to a High Altitude City ( Bogota,Colombia) and doctors never said to me I can't live there. So I came back to my city and my final test results were , *Left Ventricular Arrhythmia , Right side blocked heart , and * T (-) Coronary artery aspect ( wich i don't understand this point), Hemoglobin 18.3gm/DL. Since 2009, My Test results are still the same, but with some changes, *Max Beats per minute - 95bph, Minimum Bpm - 40bpm. Now I am experiencing Bradycardia, and this is causing me short breathing , trouble to concentrate, I can't walk like more than 200 meters or go outside and make relationships with people (social life ). My cardiologist says that is just normal and that he can not do anything about it because the cause of this bradycardia is Metoprolol , how come? I am looking for other professional help and opinion because I am a bit not sure about what my cardiologists say to me, because since 2008 they are telling me I got nothing to worry about...and I am 50% sure they are lying. And also, Can I eat chocolate? ;) Please I will appreciate your help Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Metoprolol causes bradycardia Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX You have been prescribed drug metoprolol, which is a beta blocker group of drug, which reduces the heart rate and even corrects the arrythmia. Bradycardia is surely its side effect as it acts on heart to calm it down and prevent extra and ectopic heart beats, you are advised to consult your cardiologist to reduce its dose if bradycardia persists. You are strictly advised to follow your cardiologists advise, as the arrythmia episodes may occur anytime, so it should be prevented. You are also advised not to consume chocolate or coffee as it contains cocoa and caffeine respectively, which are mild stimulants and can precipitate arrythmia and ectopic beats. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS
People also viewed
- Home remedies black patch on my face
- Can i still drink alcohol with a heart murmur
- Home remedies for 11 month old babies chesty cough
- Does antibiotic cause bradycardia
- Bradycardia causes
- Sinus bradycardia causes diabetes
- How to control high bood pressure without taking madicine
- Are stints placed above or below the heart
- Home medicine for overbleeding during mensturation
- High temperature headache severe body aches
- How long til their blood pressure goes down
- My blood pressure rises and i get dizzy and paranoid
- Sinus bradycardia causing headache
- Bradycardia caused by depression?
- Hole in salivary gland producing too much saliva