Doctor, I have been prescribed Lipitor instead of Provastatin (which

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Doctor, I have been prescribed Lipitor instead of Provastatin (which I used for a long time) following open heart/triple bypass surgery 82 days ago. Is there a conflict with a daily 150mg dose of Sertraline that I take? I am really doing well post-surgery with pulmonary cardio rehab 3 times a week and almost everything, but I am concerned about the possible side effects related to my prescribed daily dosage of Carvedilol 6.5 mg, the statin, and Clopidogrel?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that there are some interactions in your actual therapy:

1- Sertraline increases clopidogrel effects, thus leading to increased risk of bleeding when taken concomitantly. That is why, in case of persistent bleeding it is necessary consult with your doctor.

2- Sertraline increases the effects of carvedilol, thus leading to potential risk for low heart rate. That is why it is necessary to monitor your heart rate.

There are no interactions between atorvastatin and your current therapy, including sertraline.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri