Do fetal pole and yolk sac show up in ultrasound with gestational sac of 8mm ?

General Surgeon
The start of my LMP was XXXXXXX 7, 2011. I had an ultra sound yesterday at 5 weeks 2 days. The gestinational sak was 8mm. The technician did not see a yolk sak or fetal pole and suspects a blighted ovum. My Hcg was approx 11ooo monday and 0000 wednesday. I went for more blood work today. I am trying to stay positive that the vaginal ultrasound was too early. Can you comment?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 35 minutes later

Your LMP is 7th XXXXXXX 2011, so your menstrual period of gestation is 5 weeks 3 days and your ultrasound period of gestation is 5 weeks 2 days . So it is quite normal. Your Hcg is increasing, it is also normal.

Some times fetal pole & yolk sac don`t appear clearly at such a short period of gestation even with trans-vaginal ultrasound. In such cases we recommend repeat trans-vaginal ultrasound after 7-10 days . In 50-60% of cases fetal pole ,yolk sac and even heart pulsation becomes clearly visible.

So dont be in hurry wait for 7-10 days, go again for trans-vaginal ultrasound. In the mean time take folic acid tablets or any other medicine recommended by your doctor.

I hope you will get favorable or desired result during the next scan.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”