Do I need to take Zoladex as I am planning my second child? Had laparoscopy for endometrial cyst.

Infertility Specialist
My age 31 years
Height 5'6''
Weight 62 kgs
1 girl child, premature 7 months, normal delivery and a healthy child

I had laparoscopy for endemetrioma cyst, outside me left ovary. It was removed successfully on XXXXXXX 4 2012 and all my tubes and uterus are in good shape.
My Gyna recommended me to go for "ZOLADEX" injection.
My query is as I want to plan for my 2nd child now, do I still need to go for "ZOLADEX" injection and why is this injection needed.
Thanks & Regards,
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later

1) Endometrioma is collection of menstrual blood outside uterine cavity. In your case it was near left ovary ( also called chocolate cyst) ans was successfully removed by laparoscopy. That is right treatment.

2) Zoladex is a Gonadotropin agonist hormone. It prevents menstrual cycle and thus collection of blood outside the uterus to cause endometrioma as it happened earlier near ovaries. Zoladex helps in drying up and reducing the remaining endometrioma spots near ovaries and around uterus.

3) Zoladex action will be there for about a month (2 months in few people). So you can start after you resume normal cycles after a month. Since you plan to have another pregnancy, start trying after next cycle, because the endometriosis recurs soon.

If you have no further queries, please accept my answer.
Dr.Mahesh koregol
Follow-up: Do I need to take Zoladex as I am planning my second child? Had laparoscopy for endometrial cyst. 11 hours later
As I am open to plan for 2nd baby, Do I in this case also have to go for ZOLADEX?

If yes, then what is the best time to have ZOLADEX injection. is it after 1st mensuration cycle or on the first mensuration cycle? How many injections are required ?

Also after my laprosocpy (done on 4th XXXXXXX 2012), I just had blood spotting for 2 days only. Now from 18 XXXXXXX 2012, the blood spotting has started again BUT this time it is more. Is this normal bleeding after laproscopy or these are my mensuration periods. My last mensuration cycle was on 26th Dec 2011??

Kindly suggest.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 41 minutes later

Even if you are planning for a second baby, it is advisable to take Zoladex, as it helps in treatment of endometriosis.

It is better to take two doses of injections. First dose, immediately after surgery and second dose, after one month of surgery.

Bleeding you are experiencing now is probably your menses which has occurred little early. It might be little more hence don’t worry. Hence you can take zoladex today.

Dr. Mahesh koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist