Do I have rosacea? Swollen and painful nose, burning and itchy cheeks, dry skin, bad allergies. Have urticaria.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have been on here before worrying about my health and whether or not I have rosacea. Doctors have been very helpful, but I am still not convinced. I cannot get in to see my dermatologist for another week.

I have bad allergies and my nose hurts a lot inside- it feels swollen. Does that sound like allergies? If you have rosacea, does your nose hurt on the INSIDE?

My cheeks also have been burning and itchy, but I suffer from urticaria. It seems that the wind sets off the burning and they turn slightly red. My friend who is a nurse said that it could be a type of dermatitis.

I also want to add that my skin is very dry!

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

A swollen nose which hurts could be due to allergies. Rosacea is usually associated with external redness and swelling and is not painful.

Burning and itchy cheeks specially on exposure to wind is suggestive of eczematous dermatitis. Dry skin is more prone to such problems.

Such simple skin lesions usually improve after application of 1% hydrocortisone gel.

Adding plenty of fluids and an oral antiallergic like cetrizine or fexofenadine to your regimen might help.
Do not rub or itch your skin and avoid any infection.

I cannot address your problem completely since it needs good local examination.

I am afraid you will have to wait for till next week for a definitive diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Do I have rosacea? Swollen and painful nose, burning and itchy cheeks, dry skin, bad allergies. Have urticaria. 54 minutes later
Helllo Dr. Tayal,

Thank you so much for your message. Can a person have dermatitis but with no physical symptoms My skin looks clear but burns, is tight and feels inflamed. It will burn and turn blotchy red after walking in the cold or wind and takes awhile to settle down. It feels so painfully dry.

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

If your skin looks normal externally then the burning feeling on exposure to air might be due to dryness of the skin and wind damages such skin causing the symptoms.

Hypersensitivity of skin might also be responsible. Try using a good moisturizing cream at least thrice daily and before going out.

Your hormones also need to be assessed as some hormonal problems also cause such symptoms.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.

Follow-up: Do I have rosacea? Swollen and painful nose, burning and itchy cheeks, dry skin, bad allergies. Have urticaria. 9 hours later
Dr. Tayal,

Thanks for the message. Sometimes my skin turns red for no reason and is hot to touch. Is this from skin hypersensitivity? Is that the same as sensitized skin?

What role could hormones be playing in this?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.
Redness of skin might be due to skin sensitivity. Yes it is same as sensitized skin.
Hormones can also be responsible for such a change but it is not expected at your age.
Getting a thyroid profile done might be helpful.
Applying a cold compress using frozen food packets might provide a temporary relief.
Regards.