Treatment for soreness on outer labia that worsens with prolonged sitting?

I have had a sore spot in left outer labia that gets worse with prolonged sitting. PT told me to do kegel exercises that aggravated the situation by immediately spreading pain to entire pelvic region. It has been 4 weeks and pain is still present . Heating pad helps but pain just returns.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Details are below Detailed Answer: Hi, I will try my best to help you! I am so sorry that you are having such a frustrating problem. There are so many possible cause of pain in the labia, but I will review some of the possibilities. In general, if it was a musculoskeletal problem, than the PT should have helped. But it sounds like that is not doing the job for you, so I will assume that it is not muscular. There may be a cyst in the area, sometimes that could be under the skin and not easy to feel. If it hasn't already been done, than your doctor should examine the area to see if he/she can identify a cyst or a mass or a lump i n the area that might explain the pain. It is not unusual for this type of pain to get worse when you sit for a while and put pressure on the area. If that is indeed the problem, than it could be fixed by draining the cyst or by removing the lump. Another possibility is a pinched nerve or another type of neurologic cause. These problems are tough to treat and diagnose, but usually your doctor can tell on exam by inducing the pain with stimuli such as touching the area. Especially if it radiates or "shoots" to another spot or deeper. This type of pain can often be treated with medicines like amytriptiline, or by giving an injection of numbing medicine. Other possibilities include inflammatory conditions, such as skin hypersensitivity due to allergies or similar problems which can be treated with steroids. Trauma can also cause inflammation that can take a long time to heal. These are the things that I can think of, and there may be other possibilities. It would be worthwhile to discuss these with your doctor, if you haven;t done so already. I hope that you can figure this out and get relief soon, and that my answer was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need any more information.