Dizziness with sore stomach, belching and stomach rumbling, pain near jaw. Is it due to acid reflux?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I have had off and on (more on) dizziness for a few weeks. I have had a very sore stomach. A lot of acid, burping and stomach rumbling when I eat. I thought the dizziness was caused by acid reflux. But my stomach has settled some, but I still have pressure on my face under my eyes around the top of my nose. I sometime feel a little pain by my ear or jaw. I don't have a cold and I am not stuffed up but that is what my head feels like and I am still dizzy. Sometimes worse than others.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Your symptoms can possibly be caused by-
1. Cervical spondylosis - giving rise to cervical vertigo
2. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - inner ear problem
3. Neurological - arising from brain
4. Cardiac cause - improper heart rhythm
5. Gastritisacid reflux from the stomach can cause dizziness with vomiting, this happens occasionally

The most common ENT cause for dizziness is BPPV, this is a condition of inner ear wherein there is dislodgement of the otoliths (small stone like things present in the semicircular canals of the inner ear) into the semicircular canal causing dizziness. Usually this lasts for few seconds to few minutes and it is noticed on getting up from the bed or rolling over on the bed.

The second most common cause is cervical vertigo secondary to cervical spondylosis. It so happens that the blood vessels passing through the vertebra gets compressed on turning the head/bending forward, leading to reduced supply of blood to the brain and causing dizziness.

Irregular heartbeats also known as arrhythmia can also cause dizziness because of improper blood supply to the brain.
I would advise you to consult an ENT surgeon to first confirm the cause of dizziness i.e the exact diagnosis whether menieres or proprioceptive disorders or any neurological cause by evaluation and investigation ( mri, audiogram, etc)
The treatment will depend on the cause and its severity.
Its best not to delay consultation as the further progression might decrease the chances of better response to oral medicines .

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.